[texbirds] Brown-hooded Laughing Gull?

  • From: Nina Rach <nrach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 20:34:43 -0700 (PDT)

[posted to TexBirds FaceBook page a few hours ago]

On Sunday evening, 5 Aug 12, I found a gull with odd brown plumage on the
Monument Inn beach, near Lynchburg ferry, Harris County, Texas. I posted four
photos later that night, beginning here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/autrevie/7723576988/in/photostream/

This gull walked away from and was staying apart from a large flock of Laughing
Gulls and various terns. It was about the same size as the other Laughing
Gulls, which were in a range of plumages, but stood out dramatically. The hood
is abbreviated and curiously brown, leaving a wide white collar (back of neck).
Back is also brown. Gull has white split eye rings, partially white forehead,
black bill with tiny white tip. Legs are reddish black. Photographed 'til about
8:00 pm, 5 Aug 2012.

Would love to hear any speculation as to the unusual color. Hybrid? Poor
nutrition?

Nina Rach
Spring Valley (west side of Houston)