[texbirds] Re: Brown vs. American White Pelican - food capture behaviors

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 18:59:03 -0500 (EST)

Many thanks for sharing your observations. Although I think  plunge-diving
by American White Pelicans can be observe extremely  rarely it is great to
have confirmation of those sightings.

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field)

In a message dated 2/10/2013 4:06:07 P.M. Central Standard Time,
doefamily@xxxxxxx writes:

American White Pelicans can and do use  plunge diving as a foraging
technique, when the opportunity or necessity  arises. I have seen them on the
Pacific (So Cal) flying with Brown Pelicans  and plunging from 75-100 feet,
just
like the Brown Pelicans. Once, at Big Bear  Lake in So Cal, I saw a flock of
about 15 do a simultaneous plunge from about  50 feet in mid-lake,
presumably after a concentration of trout.