[texbirds] Re: Brown Crested Flycatchers

  • From: Kurt Johnson <naturalister@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 09:53:53 -0500

Last weekend I spotted a Flycatcher W. Kingbird) handing off a feather to
the mate in an oak in daughters yard in Brazos County.  Watching the pair I
finally spotted the nest when the feather was placed there.  I retrieved a
tall ladder from the barn, climbed up and photographed the feather down
lined nest but spotted no eggs in it yet.  I remember thinking it seemed a
late start but didn't really know what the normal nesting time for these
birds was.

Yesterday I was driving past Travis Elementary in San Marcos and noticed a
commotion under a tree.  A Loggerhead Shrike was on the ground and a N.
Mockingbird was in full on attack mode from above.  I wondered if the
Shrike was just guilty of trespass or if it was a nest robber.

Painted Buntings are thick as the crickets here this year.  That's all I
got.  Happy Fathers Day.

Kurt and Becky Johnson
Hays County, just outside San Marcos