[texbirds] Re: Brewer's Sparrows ? - Austin

  • From: "LMarkoff" <canyoneaglej@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'texbirds'" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 07:43:35 -0500

G'day Texbirds,

I got several notes saying the Pet Smart sparrows were most likely to be
Clay-colored Sparrow, not Brewer's Sparrow.  I had considered CCSP, but the
birds I could get on seemed too washed out looking for that.  I have seen
quite a few CCSPs over the years, and always thought of them as having a
snappy-looking malar stripe that stood out, and I couldn't see that here.
And the only vocals I heard were a couple chirpy-sounding chips, so I didn't
have much to go on by ear.

Most likely it was my old eyes that were washed out not the birds' plumage,
and that the birds were indeed CCSP, the expected species.

Thanks to those who responded, you are good folks.

Lori Markoff
Austin, Brodie and Slaughter Lanes