[texbirds] Breeding Bird Survey Volunteers Needed

  • From: Brent Ortego <brentortego@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 06:30:55 -0600

Many of us are still working on Christmas Bird Count Data, but it is time to
start thinking about plans for conducting U.S. Geological Survey roadside
Breeding Bird Surveys.  The survey season starts in May and we need to line up
volunteers to fill vacancies now to avoid the rush when spring birding starts.
My annual request is pasted below.

Thanks for your consideration and assistance.

Brent Ortego
Victoria, TX

BREEDING BIRD SURVEY VOLUNTEERS NEEDED

This is my annual  request for volunteer sign-up to conduct roadside breeding
bird surveys (BBS) in Texas during 2014.  There are 9 vacancies in the
Panhandle, 3 in the Trans Pecos, 1 in North Central Texas, 2 in Central Texas,
3 in Southeast Texas associated with the Big Thicket, and 5 in South Texas.
Read below for more details.

For those not familiar with the survey methodology, the BBS is the national
survey which is the primary source for breeding bird population trends in the
nation.  This survey has about 3000 randomly located routes across the United
States.  Each route is 24.5 miles long with 50 stops spaced 0.5 miles apart.
At each stop during a 3 minute period, the observer tallies all birds seen
within ¼ mile and all birds heard.  The route lasts from 30 minutes before
sunrise until you finish which is normally about 11 a.m.  The route needs to be
run ONCE each year during the months of May or June; exact dates vary with each
route.  It might require a pre-survey scouting trip just to familiarize
yourself with the route, and a little paper/computer work after the route is
done.  The observer needs to be able to identify most of the birds along the
route by call and all by sight.  Along routes in agricultural areas, this might
only mean about 20 species by call, but in more complex forested areas it might
mean 70 species.

National and local conservation organizations very regularly use BBS data (see
www.stateofthebirds.org) in their analysis.  They focus very strongly on
breeding bird population trends generated by YOUR DATA, and also used bird
density data extensively.  Partners In Flight has developed models to estimate
breeding density and distribution for all species they are tracking with BBS
data.  Texas Parks and Wildlife Department has used the data when they
developed a statewide conservation plan for birds  (see
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/pwd_pl_w7000_1187a/) .
Conservation “Joint Ventures” across the nation regularly use BBS data as they
implement their new “All Birds” management goals.  It has been very satisfying
seeing the product of our works being used to influence national and local
decisions on avian conservation.

Texas has 196 BBS routes and 23 vacancies.  The National Office has started
listing routes as vacant when they have not received data from a volunteer for
two years.  If you see your route listed as vacant, check your files and
resubmit your data because the national office has not received it.

 This seems like a lot of routes, but it is not for a state our size.  Due to
the variability of the data, we are trying to run at least 14 routes per
ecological area and there are 10 ecological areas in Texas.  This should
provide us a statistically valid sample of population trends of birds breeding
near highways.  We are getting close to obtaining this sample size in every
bird region except for the Panhnadle and West Texas.  We have problems getting
qualified birders to do routes in the more rural parts of the State.  While
there are plenty of good birders in Texas, the birders are concentrated in
urban areas and the birds are spread throughout the State causing logistics
problems of running routes in remote parts of the Texas.  A classic example is
West Texas and the Panhandle, lots of country and few birders.

When you volunteer, I will need your name, mailing address, e-mail, telephone
number and route of interest.

I am listing below vacant routes by geographic areas.  Species data for each
route can be obtained a the link =
https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbs/RouteMap/Map.cfm. Those areas with the largest
numbers of vacancies are the areas needing the most help.  If you are
interesting in helping, or would like more information, reply to this e-mail.

PANHANDLE

Route 101             Pantex                   Carson County
Route 102             Texline                   Dallam County
Route 103             Waka                     Ochiltree County
Route 104             Booker                   Lipscomb County
Route 179             Haskell                  Haskell County
Route 370             Friona                    Parmer County
Route 371             Panhandle             Gray County
Route 373             Dalhart                  Dallam County
Route 374             Twichell                 Ochiltree County

WEST TEXAS

Route 090             Delaware Creek   Culberson County
Route 343             Mentone                                Loving County
Route 344             Salt Flat                 Hudspeth County

NORTHCENTRAL TEXAS

Route 109             Rotan                     Fisher County

CENTRAL TEXAS

Route 043             San Saba               McCulloch County
Route 249             Thornton 3            Limestone County

NORTHEAST TEXAS

No vacancies.  Congratulations!

SOUTHEAST TEXAS

Route 904             Big Sandy Bith     Polk County
Route 905             Lance Rosier        Hardin County
Route 906             Neches Bith          Jefferson County

COASTAL PRAIRIE

No vacancies.  Congratulations!

SOUTH TEXAS

Route 005             Kingsville               Kleberg County
Route 308             Three Rivers         Live Oak County
Route 314             Yoakum                                DeWitt County
Route 379             Heidelberg             Hidalgo County
Route 907             Padre Island         Kleberg County

https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBS/results/routemaps/routeMapStatic.html location of
route maps

https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBS/index.cfm?CFID250972&CFTOKEN 845651 raw data
online retrieval system link provides location of species totals by route by
year

https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBS/learning/ BBS procedures and quiz

Brent Ortego
2805 N. Navarro, Suite 600B