[texbirds] Re: Brazoria Wildlife Refuge and Hoskins Mound Road on 01/06/2013

  • From: "Kathleen Sinka" <ksinka@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 11:55:15 -0600

I forgot to add our city - see below

From: Kathleen Sinka [mailto:ksinka@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2013 11:53 AM
To: 'texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: Brazoria Wildlife Refuge and Hoskins Mound Road on 01/06/2013

Hi Texbirders,

Last Sunday we decided to check out a Swainson's Hawk nest we found last
year along Hoskins Mound Road in Brazoria County.  We had posted pictures of
the Swainson's on Texbirds on 6-13-12.   Over a couple of months we watched
the family of hawks raise a brood of three chicks until they finally left
the nest.  On Sunday however we found that a Great Horned Owl had taken  up
residency in the same nest.  I am not sure whether he plans on staying
around or whether it was just a convenient place to rest.  We will check
again this weekend.  At Brazoria Wildlife Refuge we saw an abundance of
waterfowl and the pictures we posted show one group taking off after a flyby
from a Northern Harrier.

Swainson's nest in June 2012

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jk_sinka/8373987066/in/photostream

Swainson's nest with Great Horned Owl in January 2013

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jk_sinka/8373648570/in/photostream

Brazoria Wildlife Refuge January 2013

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jk_sinka/8373648398/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jk_sinka/8373648194/in/photostream