[texbirds] Bosque Co.

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 19:45:59 -0500

.
Rains prevented most work this morning. Birded various places and back
roads near Clifton in part seeking a specific habitat type. I am not
trying to be critical but the Ebird data/checklist for this county is just
horrendously awful and frankly useless....I/we have found numbers of
species and some in good quantity that are not mentioned anywhere in the
data for spring and in a few cases are not even included on the checklist.
I assume there are just not many birders in this county. Case in
point...Upland Sandpipers are pouring over every morning in herds, yet
there but only two reports for all springs listed for a total of 5
birds...???
Anyway I have added a number of new trip birds today (as in everyday)
though nothing special at least from whence I came,
A large field had about 65 wet and miserable Swainson's Hawks
A latish N. Harrier
2 Olive-sided Flycatchers
2 Black-necked Stilts (which actually may be fairly rare)
2 Lesser Yellowlegs 2
6 Redheads
2 Ruddy Ducks
Little Blue Herons
Bank Swallows
Lazuli Bunting 1
Vesper Sparrows 2-3

.....all were new for the trip except the Swainson's Hawks....As you can
surmise from the above I was mostly just driving and car birding as it is
just too cold, wet drizzly and gray for any decent worthwhile foot
birding. Never had a Bosque Co. bird in Ebird before this trip but started
that on April 14 and have since been racking 'em up.

Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/