[texbirds] Bolivar to Anahuac today, great birds and 2 harlan's hawks still here

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 21:00:19 -0500

My bird of the day on the coast was solitary sandpiper which was in all the
ditches in Port Bolivar and all the way up through crystal beach. And even
with the warblers at high island too.
Land birds of the day were the male hooded warblers and louisiana
waterthrushes.

Bird species that perched on me in 2 different woods was male prothonotary
warbler.

Best lingering bird was red-bellied nuthatches.

Started the day on the ferry where we were passed by a tight kettle of
about 75 cliff swallows. Sort of like a ball of dickcissels. Kingfishers
were going through port bolivar leading to lots of fights as new birds
passed good perches. Frenchtown pond was totally full but the lagoon was
about dry with lots of birds there. Likewise, the Bob Road pond was really
full. Cobb's real estate had golden plover.

Driving beaches revealed mainly empty beaches. High island had good variety
with some very early birds. The black berries that were being eaten by
hermit thrushes on Monday were being eaten by my earliest ever swainson's
thrushes today.

Hooks woods had 3 species of bobbing waterthrushes, louisiana, northern and
solitary all together. Several louisiana totally dominated one northern who
was attacked anytime he tried to get out of a little wet patch. Lots of
goodies in the water and the solitary dominated both waterthrush. At one
point both waterthrushes were singing and calling. Northern waterthrush was
another earliest ever.

One gentleman in a trailer covered with bird decals gave birding a good
name as he drove down 124 coming to High Island. I had to wait as the 124
cars and trucks stuck behind his 30 mph drive down the road veering to the
other lane before I could go north.

A couple of prothonotary warblers periodically dove into a patch of clover
at hooks for worms. One landed on my leg while I was taking pictures.
Another used a shoe for a perch on the back end of high island. That makes
any one's day.

Still lots of hawks up on 1986 and Anahuac. Most of the red-tails are still
very light krider's and I finally saw the harlan's hawk down near crab
orchard. A second harlan's was just a few phone poles from the main Anahuac
entrance. Not much out in the open at Anahuac after a days visitors but a
great day out even so.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston