[texbirds] Bolivar CBC results

  • From: steve mayes <sgmayes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TEXBirds posts <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 00:57:43 +0000

The Bolivar Peninsula CBC was conducted on Thursday Dec. 19 with pretty good
results despite a lower than normal turnout and very windy, overcast conditions
in the afternoon.  Looks like we will end up with around 170 species which is
well up from last year (which had even more challenging conditions).
Conditions in the count circle continue to rebound from the damage of recent
hurricanes but habitat is still evolving and we are still figuring out what
that means as far as the birding goes.  Some of the nice birds found on the
count included: Fox Sparrow, Black Scoter, Northern Gannet, Short-eared Owl,
Spargue's Pipit and Tufted Titmouse (hasn't been seen on the count in more than
10 years).
I'm sure my co-compiler David Sarkozi joins me in giving thanks to everyone
that showed up to count with us and for the cooperation from Houston Audubon
and Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge without whom this count would not be
possible.  Also thanks to Dr. Bill Graber (founder of the count) who continued
his long tradition of birding the beach from High Island to Rollover Pass.
Hope to see everyone back next year for another great count.

Steve Mayes
Nederland, TX