[texbirds] Boca Chica warning

  • From: Robert Becker <robertjbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 10:11:10 -0700 (PDT)

I had an experience last weekend at Boca Chica, in the area described in Tim
Brush's post earlier today, that everyone who goes birding there should be
aware of.  Be very careful if you venture away from your vehicle onto the
shoreline, as I was caught unawares when doing so by a very intimidating big
white dog, a Bull Mastiff or similar breed, that came running right at me from
the the small settlement on the other side of the road. There  was no place to
retreat, and I thought I would have to use my monopod to fend off an attack.
The dog was barking furiously and stopped about a foot away from me and keep
barking and crouching low. I began talking to the dog in a calm voice and it
gradually backed off and looked back at me as it trotted off.

Believe me, it was a very unnerving experience. I was fortunate the dog was
asserting territory and nothing more. Care should be taken in this area.

Bob Becker
Rancho Viejo