[texbirds] Boca Chica & Sabal Palm Grove

  • From: "Mary Beth Stowe" <mbstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2015 18:19:06 -0600

Hi, all!

I had heard there were some Red Knots on Boca Chica Beach, so Joyce
Davidson, Pat Heirs and I headed down there bright and early this morning,
seeing as low tide was around 5:30 am and high tide would be around one in
the afternoon. It was an absolutely gorgeous day, starting off in the low
50s, but ending up in the upper 70s by the time we were done, with sunny
skies and some clouds! The beach was in great shape, and we had our first
Red Knot feeding almost the minute we set foot on the beach! We headed down
to the mouth of the Rio Grande first, getting the usual suspects (about the
only other shorebirds were Sanderlings and turnstones), but we hit the
jackpot at the mouth with tons of both pelicans, avocets out the yin yang,
and a huge flock of larids hiding behind a sandbar on the Mexican side that
included Bonaparte's Gulls, three kinds of terns, and some Black Skimmers!
Heading back up we had another small flock of Knots, and continuing north to
the jetty the only other bird of note (besides lots of Forster's Terns) was
an Oystercatcher that looked like it might have been ill. Heading back out
Boca Chica Boulevard we stopped a couple of times along the road and picked
up both grebes, both yellowlegs, and female Ring-necked and Ruddy Ducks,
along with Osprey and Harris' Hawks.

We spent about an hour at the PC Flycatcher spot, but he never showed,
although two Wilson's Warblers were rather cooperative. A talkative Green
Kingfisher was a nice consolation prize, picked up some ducks at the blind
(and a flyover Sandhill Crane), and a few minutes at the feeders gave us our
Green Jay fix. Robins on the way out were nice, and the nice volunteer at
the Rabb House gave us some quick history of the place before we had to take
off, but we learned that the flycatcher HAD been seen that morning, so maybe
next time!

Some pictures (and a couple of videos) can be seen on my Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/marybeth.stowe

Bird List:

Gadwall Anas strepera

Mottled Duck Anas fulvigula

Blue-winged Teal Anas discors

Northern Pintail Anas acuta

Ring-necked Duck Aythya collaris

Ruddy Duck Oxyura jamaicensis

Plain Chachalaca Ortalis vetula

Least Grebe Tachybaptus dominicus

Pied-billed Grebe Podilymbus podiceps

Neotropic Cormorant Phalacrocorax brasilianus

Double-crested Cormorant Phalacrocorax auritus

American White Pelican Pelecanus erythrorhynchos

Brown Pelican Pelecanus occidentalis

Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias

Great Egret Ardea alba

Snowy Egret Egretta thula

Tricolored Heron Egretta tricolor

Reddish Egret Egretta rufescens

Cattle Egret Bubulcus ibis

Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura

Osprey Pandion haliaetus

Harris's Hawk Parabuteo unicinctus

Gray Hawk Buteo plagiatus

Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis

American Coot Fulica americana

Sandhill Crane Grus canadensis

American Avocet Recurvirostra americana

American Oystercatcher Haematopus palliatus

Black-bellied Plover Pluvialis squatarola

Greater Yellowlegs Tringa melanoleuca

Willet Tringa semipalmata

Lesser Yellowlegs Tringa flavipes

Ruddy Turnstone Arenaria interpres

Red Knot Calidris canutus

Sanderling Calidris alba

Bonaparte's Gull Chroicocephalus philadelphia

Laughing Gull Leucophaeus atricilla

Ring-billed Gull Larus delawarensis

Herring Gull Larus argentatus

Caspian Tern Hydroprogne caspia

Forster's Tern Sterna forsteri

Royal Tern Thalasseus maximus

Black Skimmer Rynchops niger

Rock Pigeon Columba livia

Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura

White-tipped Dove Leptotila verreauxi

Buff-bellied Hummingbird Amazilia yucatanensis

Belted Kingfisher Megaceryle alcyon

Green Kingfisher Chloroceryle americana

Golden-fronted Woodpecker Melanerpes aurifrons

Ladder-backed Woodpecker Picoides scalaris

Crested Caracara Caracara cheriway

American Kestrel Falco sparverius

Eastern Phoebe Sayornis phoebe

Great Kiskadee Pitangus sulphuratus

Loggerhead Shrike Lanius ludovicianus

White-eyed Vireo Vireo griseus

Green Jay Cyanocorax yncas

Chihuahuan Raven Corvus cryptoleucus

Black-crested Titmouse Baeolophus atricristatus

Verdin Auriparus flaviceps

House Wren Troglodytes aedon

Carolina Wren Thryothorus ludovicianus

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher Polioptila caerulea

American Robin Turdus migratorius

Long-billed Thrasher Toxostoma longirostre

Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos

Orange-crowned Warbler Oreothlypis celata

Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas

Wilson's Warbler Cardellina pusilla

Olive Sparrow Arremonops rufivirgatus

Northern Cardinal Cardinalis cardinalis

Eastern Meadowlark Sturnella magna

Great-tailed Grackle Quiscalus mexicanus

American Goldfinch Spinus tristis

75 SPECIES

Mary Beth Stowe

Alamo, TX