[texbirds] Re: Bob Sargent

  • From: "L Markoff" <canyoneagle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>, "'texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 15:27:35 -0700

Just got back from camping off the grid in the Okanogan (Washington) so am
catching up.  Bob touched many lives that is for sure.  I met Bob and Martha
in 1998 (?) when they were the guest speakers at the Virginia Ornithological
Society meeting.  Fortunately for me, they were staying with a friend of
mine during the meeting who invited me to join them for a little birding
after the meeting.  Birding with them was a great learning experience in
numerous ways!  They also invited me to visit them at their next banding
session at Fort Morgan, AL, so the following spring I took two of my kids
down there.  Bob and Martha treated us like family and I have been a member
of their Hummer Bird Study Group ever since.

I told Bob about my friend who got thousands of Ruby-throated Hummers during
breeding season in Elkins, WV.  Bob and Martha started banding there, as
well as training future banders at the site.  My kids and I joined them for
one of the Elkins sessions and Bob let my son assist in the banding by
recording.  That experience helped inspire my son to major in Biology (at
TAMUCC).

I could go on but I think you can tell that "Big Bad Bob", "the Bald One"
(as he called himself sometimes), or "Uncle Bob" as I liked to think of him,
was a special human who did so very much to help birds.

Love and peace to you, Bob.

Lori Markoff
Eugene, OR