[texbirds] Boat-tailed Grackle in Port Aransas

  • From: Lee Pasquali <l.pasquali.birds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 22:12:34 -0500

Today, March 31, 2014,  at 8:10 when leaving Port Aransas we saw and heard
Boat-tailed Grackles at  the corner of Avenue J and Texas 361, south west
of the new Stephanie's Stuff Restaurant, etc. building.
When driving along Texas 361 we stopped in the parking lot of Stephanie's
to look at Roseate Spoonbills in the drainage next to the building. After
photographing and observing the Spoonbills for about 15 minutes, my wife
and birding companion with great hearing, Betty, said "I am hearing
Boat-tailed Grackles". Since we visited central Florida last year for about
a week and have been to Brazos Bend SP several times she is familiar with
the unique sounds the males make when wooing the females. We found the one
shown at

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25073316@N06/13550555144/sizes/c/

about 20 feet from us.

Looking at eBird records, the Boat-tailed Grackle appears to have moved
south into the Rockport area from Cavasso Creek but this is the first
reported in Port Aransas.

Go out and bird with a camera,
Lee Pasquali
North San Antonio