[texbirds] Blue-throated and Broad-billed Hummingbirds at Quinta Mazatlan

  • From: Erik Breden <erik.breden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 May 2014 20:24:05 -0500

TexBirders,

I have not been out at all this spring because we were packing,
moving from Harlingen to Weslaco, and unpacking...AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

So today I spent a few hours at Quinta Mazatlan looking for the two
rare hummingbirds that have been there for about a week now. The
female Blue-throated was coming regularly to a Coral Bean Tree on the
west side of the building near a cast iron swing. OK, one half of the
chase down...

The Broad-billed Hummingbird was reported from the Coral Bean Tree on
the south side of the building. I spent over about two hours in the
area, but no Broad-billed. Then John Brush walked by, the bird
magically appeared, and he called my attention to it...thanks John!

Photos of my first spring outing can be seen at:

www.otterside.com/spring2014

Enjoy!

Erik Breden
Weslaco, Texas