[texbirds] Blue-throated Hummingbird, Quinta Mazatlan WBC, McAllen, Hidalgo County, Texas

  • From: Tiffany Kersten <tiffanykersten@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 20:58:02 -0500

Texbirders,
Today as I was finishing up setup for our big earth day festival at Quinta
Mazatlan World Birding Center, I noticed a large hummingbird which turned
out to be a BLUE-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD. It showed two more times in the same
location between then and 8 pm. I believe there are previously only a few
records for the Rio Grade Valley.

John Brush was able to capture this short digi-binned video of the bird on
its second visit. You can watch it here: https://flic.kr/p/no6n7x

We open at 6:30 am tomorrow (Saturday) for setup prior to our Vida Verde
festival. The bird was in the coral bean tree right along the red brick
path to the front of the house. There'll be thousands people onsite
beginning at 9 am so if you're coming out, come early! Also these birds
aren't known to stick long.

Good birding!

Tiffany L. Kersten
McAllen, TX