[texbirds] Re: Blue Jays and west Nile

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 16:19:49 +0000

We had an unusually large number of Blue Jays at Kleb Woods the last two weekly
bird walks, at least 15 birds in at least 4 family groups. It is very possible
we actually had close to 30 this past week. We are conservative when estimating
resident species as they can easily move back to the woods in front of us.
However, Blue Jays have been unusually noticeable and abundant of late. The
acorn crop on the live oaks is nothing short of spectacular here so that may
account for the jay numbers. Perhaps jays have "learned" to leave town in late
summer and go to more rural areas where West Nile is less concentrated and less
likely to trouble them.

Crows on the other hand have not ever recovered to pre West Nile numbers in the
vicinity of Kleb Woods. From historic levels they are all but gone from the
Katy prairie where we would often see fields with hundreds in late winter.

Fred Collins
             (281) 357-5324
Director: Kleb Woods Nature Center
             Cypress Top Historical Park