[texbirds] Blue Jay Expansion (Hidalgo County)

  • From: John Brush <jsbrush10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 11:38:16 -0500

There has been a small population of Blue Jays in the LRGV since the early
90s in Edinburg, TX (literature from Dad's book). Dad and I have seen them
off and on in a local neighborhood over the past few years, including a
group of at least three birds this year (whereas it seems normally I only
see one at a time).
There have also been confirmed reports this year of Blue Jays in another
Edinburg neighborhood, and this morning I can add another location to the
list - Quinta Mazatlan in McAllen.

I looked a little at the eBird range map for BLJA, and aside from one
report near Falfurrias, there doesn't seem to be a really established
population until at least Corpus Christi/Victoria area.

The Blue Jay sightings, along with an out-of-place, juvenile American Robin
(breeding possibility) at Quinta Mazatlan this year, makes it an oddly
temperate-bird year. It would be quite interesting to see more interactions
between the temperate/tropical combos of Blue and Green Jays, and between
American Robin and Clay-colored Thrush.

--
John Brush
McAllen, Texas