[texbirds] Blue Bunting & HB Kite - Bentsen SP

  • From: Roy Rodriguez <Roy.Rodriguez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 17:17:43 +0000

3-05-15
Hi TexBirders,

Good birding at Bentsen-RGV State Park continues - with regular sightings of
resident birds and a couple of rarities.

Blue Bunting
A female Blue Bunting was photographed yesterday (Mar 4) bathing at Green Jay
Blind water feature, around 10:30 am.

Hook-billed Kite:
A dark-morph individual continues its routine over Bentsen State Park HQ each
morning around 9 am.  It flies in a northwesterly direction, gaining altitude
over the levee as it heads over the fields.

Where to look for birds of interest at Bentsen RGVSP:

Parking lot and Park HQ/Store Gardens & Courtyard -
__Plain Chachalaca
__Greater Roadrunner
__Ruby-throated Hummingbird
__Black-chinned Hummingbird
__Buff-bellied Hummingbird
__Clay-colored Thrush
__Long-billed Thrasher
__Curve-billed Thrasher
__Olive Sparrow
__Lark Sparrow
__Altamira Oriole

Levee/canal right outside HQ/Park Store -
__Hook-billed Kite
__Green Kingfisher
__Ringed Kingfisher
__Black Phoebe
__Cave Swallow
__Long-billed Thrasher

Nature Center feeding stations -
__Plain Chachalaca
__White-tipped Dove
__Black-crested Titmouse
__Clay-colored Thrush
__Long-billed Thrasher
__Curve-billed Thrasher
__Green Jay
__Hooded Oriole
__Altamira Oriole

Kingfisher Overlook -
__Gray Hawk
__Ringed Kingfisher
__Green Kingfisher
__Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet
__Cave Swallow

Green Jay Blind -
__Gray Hawk
__Plain Chachalaca
__White-tipped Dove
__Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet
__Black-crested Titmouse
__Clay-colored Thrush
__Long-billed Thrasher
__Green Jay
__Olive Sparrow
__Lincoln's Sparrow
__Blue Bunting
__Hooded Oriole
__Altamira Oriole

Acacia Loop -
__Gray Hawk
__Plain Chachalaca
__White-tipped Dove
__Eastern Screech-Owl
__Common Pauraque
__Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet
__Black-crested Titmouse
__Verdin
__Olive Sparrow
__Black-headed Grosbeak
__Lazuli Bunting
__Indigo Bunting

Hawk Tower/Rio Grande Trail -
__Gray Hawk
__Greater Roadrunner
__Verdin
__Curve-billed Thrasher
__Lark Sparrow
__Pyrrhuloxia
__Indigo Bunting

Bird Feeding at Bentsen-RGV State Park

Every year, we have questions from visitors & birders about our feeding
schedule.

We have 10 feeding stations in the park, active from October to April.

Many folks believe we should feed birds year-round, but there are several
reasons we do not feed in late spring or summer here at Bentsen:

*         There will be a regular drop in feeder activity as soon as our local
breeding birds begin nesting and defending territories.  When this happens, the
numbers of local birds visiting our feeders will drop off considerably.

*         Many nesting birds will need protein (insects) or other natural foods
and may not travel out of their way to seek feeders as they do in winter.

*         By March 15th, migrating Red-winged Blackbirds take over our feeding
stations and promptly consume all available inventory.

*         By the end of March, Bronzed Cowbirds begin moving into the park.
These nest parasites are not encouraged as they have been a major nuisance in
recent years.

We will continue feeding in the mornings, but will stop bird feeding in the
afternoons on Sunday Mach 15.  We plan to stop regular bird feeding on or near
the last day of March except for the Nature Center and Bird Blinds.

March 15 - No PM feeding
March 31 - End to regular feeding (except Nature Center and Bird Blinds)

Thank you.  Good Birding.

Roy at Bentsen

Roy J Rodriguez
Park Ranger I - Park Interpreter