[texbirds] Black-throated Green Warbler at Big Bend, 6/24/13

  • From: antshrike1@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 22:04:46 -0400 (EDT)

I decided it was my turn to run up to Big Bend to tick the Flame-colored
Tanager so I raced up on Sunday.  I started on the Pinnacles trail head at 5:30
Monday morning and reached the tanager spot in Boot Canyon past the Juniper
trail head in three hours.  (The ten mile round trip is not to be taken
lightly.  Had I not been doing lots of walking and time on the elliptical
trainer lately, I don't know it I would have made it.  I was very sore
afterwards.)    I immediately heard a tanager song and was looking at the
Flame-colored Tanager withing a couple of minutes.  Both the female Western and
male Flame-colored Tanagers were singing.  The songs are quite similar and not
unlike the more common Hepatic Tanagers.
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/antshrike/zFlame-coloredTanagerBigBend5-24-13IMG_6395_zpsc222b44b.jpg

A bonus for me was a scruffy male Magnificent Hummingbird at the tanager spot
which was chasing a couple of Selasphorus hummers that looked too bright to be
Broad-tails.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/antshrike/zMagnificentHummingbirdBigBend6-24-13IMG_6559_zps36edaf5d.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/antshrike/zSelasphorusBigBend6-24-13IMG_6555_zps1b34f5b2.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/antshrike/zSelasphorusBigBend6-24-13IMG_6486_zps994a3389.jpg

I also saw at least six Painted Redstarts and eight Colima Warblers.  The real
surprise was what I am calling a Black-throated Green Warbler at the tanager
spot.  At first I thought it was a Golden-cheeked cuz I thought the brief
glimpse of the back was dark gray, but I think the cheek patch points to
Black-throated Green.  I head a chip note that didn't sound like Black-throated
Green either but it may have come from the nearby Colima.  Any opinions?

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/antshrike/zBlack-throatedGreenWarblerBigBend6-24-13IMG_6603_zpsebe2072b.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/antshrike/zBlack-throatedGreenWarblerBigBend6-24-13IMG_6608_zps2699334d.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/antshrike/zBlack-throatedGreenWarblerBigBend6-24-13IMG_6609_zps0a323c36.jpg

The next morning I hobbled down the Window trail expecting to tick Lucifer
Hummingbird for the year.  I didn't find one but picked up two surprise Crissal
Thrashers instead along with Varied Buntings.  It was really slow.  Afterwards
I was too sore, hot and tired to do any more so I went home.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/antshrike/zCrissalThrasherBigBend6-24-13IMG_6940_zps2e794a12.jpg

Checklists are below.  I'll put some more pics on my Flickr page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58723772@N07/sets/72157634346283195/

Big Bend, Pinnacles Trail and Boot Canyon, Brewster, US-TX
Jun 24, 2013 5:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
10.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Hiked up Pinnacles trail from cabins to Boot Springs and up past
Juniper trail head and back
28 species (+1 other taxa)

Turkey Vulture  1
Band-tailed Pigeon  2
White-throated Swift  6
Magnificent Hummingbird  1
Blue-throated Hummingbird  2
Black-chinned Hummingbird  3
Selasphorus sp.  2
Acorn Woodpecker  4
Ladder-backed Woodpecker  2
Western Wood-Pewee  2
Cordilleran Flycatcher  2
Ash-throated Flycatcher  2
Hutton's Vireo  6
Mexican Jay  6
Common Raven  1
Black-crested Titmouse  4
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Canyon Wren  6
Bewick's Wren  15
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  5
Colima Warbler  8
Black-throated Green Warbler  1
Painted Redstart  6
Spotted Towhee  5
Black-chinned Sparrow  1
Hepatic Tanager  6
Western Tanager  1
Flame-colored Tanager  1
Black-headed Grosbeak  6

Big Bend NP--Window Trail, Brewster, US-TX
Jun 25, 2013 7:30 AM - 11:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
4.0 mile(s)
21 species