[texbirds] Black-tailed Godwit Details

  • From: Ron Weeks <ronweeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 15:36:44 -0700 (PDT)

TexBirders,

Just back into town today and decided to check the godwit ponds for
shorebirds.
Found 6 Stilt Sandpipers, about 5 White-rumpeds, several Greater Yellowlegs,
Hudsonian Godwit and the Black-tailed Godwit.  Found out when I tried to post
initially that Nina Rach had seen the bird earlier in the afternoon.  I had
doubted the bird had left the area and this has proven to be true.

The bird is in the pond across the CR227 (now the east side) and slightly
closer
to FM2004.  This pond is tougher to see into, but please stay off the dikes.
Both the farmers and the refuge staff knows it is back and will be watching.
So
please don't damage our welcome by entering a closed area.  Fair chance this
bird will be around as long as the habitat holds.  Talked to the refuge folks
and initial advice is now to park on the west side of the road to limit
crossings.  May check some later in the week if I get time.

Good godwit finding,

Ron Weeks
Lake Jackson