[texbirds] Blackpoll Warbler at South Padre Island, 11/17/12

  • From: antshrike1@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 22:14:14 -0500 (EST)

This morning I loaded up the 4X4 with my scope, sunscreen, lunch and Dunn and
Howell's gull book with plans to spend the day on South Padre Island at the
beach studying gull plumages.  Well it was not to be as I got sidetracked and
spent seven hours between The Valley Land Fund's Sheepshead lot and the SPI
Convention Center.  Nine species of warblers included a confusing fall male
Blackpoll Warbler, Palm Warbler, Pine Warblers and Black-throated Gray Warbler.
 Other good stuff included the continuing Red-breasted Nuthatch, American
Robin, Cedar Waxwing, Sedge Wren and a winter plumaged male Painted Bunting.
I'm including photo links in the lists so we'll see how this goes.
Here are some poor pics of the Blackpoll Warbler which I guess is what was
initially identified as a Cape May Warbler.  Gray above with heavy black
streaking, white wingbars and heavy black malar stripe running in to black
streaking on the sides of a white breast and belly pretty much seals the deal.
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/antshrike/Birds/BlackpollWarblerSPI11-17-12272_resize.jpg
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/antshrike/BlackpollWarblerSPI11-17-12260_resize.jpg

SPI Convention Center, Cameron, US-TX
Nov 17, 2012 11:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.25 mile(s)
52 species

American Wigeon  1
Northern Pintail  X
Redhead  X
American White Pelican  52
Brown Pelican  X
Great Egret  2
Little Blue Heron  2
Tricolored Heron  1
Reddish Egret  1
White Ibis  2
Roseate Spoonbill  1
Northern Harrier  1
Common Gallinule  2
American Coot  X
Black-bellied Plover  X
Semipalmated Plover  X
Piping Plover  X
Willet  X
Marbled Godwit  2
Sanderling  X
Western Sandpiper  X
Least Sandpiper  X
Short-billed Dowitcher  X
Laughing Gull  X
Caspian Tern  X
Eurasian Collared-Dove  15
Belted Kingfisher  1
Least Flycatcher  1
Eastern Phoebe  2
Great Kiskadee  2
Blue-headed Vireo  1
Red-breasted Nuthatch  1
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/antshrike/Birds/Red-breastedNuthatchSPI11-17-12146_resize.jpg
Sedge Wren  1
American Robin  1
Gray Catbird  2
Northern Mockingbird  1
Cedar Waxwing  1
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/antshrike/Birds/CedarWaxwingSPI11-17-12047_resize.jpg
Orange-crowned Warbler  1
Common Yellowthroat  1
Northern Parula  1
Blackpoll Warbler  1
Palm Warbler  1
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/antshrike/Birds/PalmWarblerSPI11-17-12244_resize.jpg
Pine Warbler  1
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/antshrike/Birds/PineWarblerSPI11-17-12129_resize.jpg
Yellow-rumped Warbler  6
Wilson's Warbler  1
Chipping Sparrow  2
Lincoln's Sparrow  3
Indigo Bunting  2
Red-winged Blackbird  20
Great-tailed Grackle  X
Bronzed Cowbird  1
House Sparrow  1

South Padre Is.--Valley Land Fund lots (LTC 036), Cameron, US-TX
Nov 17, 2012 9:00 AM - 11:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.2 mile(s)
17 species