[texbirds] Black-hooded Parakeets in San Antonio?

  • From: Jay Packer <jay@xxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 21:32:40 -0600

I had a quick observation to pass along. My wife and some of her family members
saw what was likely four Black-hooded Parakeets the day after Christmas (26 Dec
2012) in northern San Antonio (Timberwood Park neighborhood). (I stayed in the
house while they went on their walk with a cold).
She saw four parakeets perch on a power pole right above her and watched them
for a couple of minutes. Black heads, bright blue in the tail, and orange
feathers around the tarsi were all noted. Granted the Sibley guide to birds
doesn't have all the worlds Psittacids, but Black-hooded Parakeet (Nandayus
nenday) seems a good match.

Anyone know these birds to be in San Antonio or anywhere else in the state for
that matter?

--
Jay Packer