[texbirds] Black-headed Grosbeaks in Austin

  • From: Noll/Anderson <nollanderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 14:30:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Texbirders,

I don't want to steal anyone's thunder here; I just would like to give some
locals a chance to see Black-headed Grosbeaks (M,F) in Austin (Travis County).
I received a photo and a note in my capacity as Austin Area RBA that had a very
nice photograph of a male Black-headed Grosbeak.
I headed to the given location at a City of Austin property accessed from
Parkfield, between Norwegian Wood and Barchetta.  There are two trails which
head north from Parkfield, when they converge- maybe 100 yards or more north-
the grosbeaks are using a large White Mulberry Tree on the western side of the
greenspace. There was a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak, a female Black-headed
and male Black-head Grosbeak present.  All the grosbeaks were trying to come in
and gain fruit, but were being run off by a protective Northern Mockingbird.
They retreat to the Willows on the eastern side of the narrow public land, near
the Starling bird house.
Black-headed Grosbeak is a tricky bird around the Austin area, my first.  I
wonder if they are under-reported, mostly at feeders, or maybe as tough as I
have experienced?
I didn't gain permission to forward the photo or the details, so I will thank
the finder privately.

Kenny Anderson
Austin