[texbirds] Re: Black-chinne Hummer with blue throat

  • From: "John Arvin" <jarvin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gn_baker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 18:04:38 -0500

Noreen,
The orangish red gorgets of some male Ruby-throated Hummers in fall
migration has been shown to result from wear (they are getting close to the
molt when they renew the feathers they have been wearing for almost a
year). I don't know, but it may be that some Black-chinned males reflect
blue rather than purple light when the gorget feathers are worn. Note that
not all individuals wear equally so only some male Ruby-throats appear
orange and the same may hold true for Black-chins.

John C. Arvin
Research Associate
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
103 West Hwy 332