[texbirds] Black-capped Vireo @ Warbler Woods

  • From: Caleb Dye <appleyard_13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 15:22:57 -0500

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello everyone,

I went birding at Warbler Woods with my family this morning and had a fantastic
morning. By far the most exciting bird was the Black-capped Vireo. Susan
informed me that Don had found it earlier and she wanted me to go photograph it
as well as record it singing. I went out to the area with my grandfather and
mom and saw it in the top of an oak tree about 50 yards away. I had heard it
first which helped me locate it. I have not had prior experience with the song
of the Black-capped Vireo but the best way I could describe it is like a weird
variation of a White-eyed Vireo song. I could not see lots of detail being so
far away, but I could see that the body was an olive greenish color, clear win
bars, and a black head with white spectacles. I could not see any other detail.
The bird continued singing for a couple minutes but flew off when we tried
getting any closer. We waited around for about 10 minutes with no luck of it
returning. We left the spot but
returned about 20 minutes later. It was not there initially when we arrived but
showed up about 5 minutes after. It flew in to the top of the same oak tree
before and started singing for a whole 5 minutes. We could hear it clearly, but
weren't able to spot it through the leaves. It flew around to a couple other
oaks in the area, singing the whole time. Both my grandfather (Delos McCauley)
and Don were able to photograph it at the top of one of its perches. I also
used Susan Schaezler's recording device and was able to record its song for a
few minutes. Had a somewhat decent view at the end, was barely able to make out
the red eye. Anyways, if there are any questions I'l be glad to answer them.
Susan Schaezler has both of photos and recording of the song.

Caleb Dye
San Antonio, Texas
Appleyard_13@xxxxxxxxx

Sent from my iPhoneEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at