[texbirds] Black-billed Cuckoo and other migrants at South Padre Island and Resaca de La Palma

  • From: peter barnes <pbarnes123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 20:56:56 -0500

Ross Rickett and I birded the Convention Center and Sheepshead in the early
to mid-afternoon today. There were fewer migrants than yesterday, but still
a good showing, with 10 warbler species, including 2 Canada, 2 Ovenbirds, 4
Magnolia and 2 Chestnut-sided Warblers, 2 Yellow-bellied and 1 Olive-sided
Flycatcher at Sheepshead, a Warbling and a Philadelphia Vireo, 3 Veeries
and 3 Gray-cheeked Thrushes. The best bird was a Black-billed Cuckoo, which
flew into the reeds by the marsh adjacent to the Convention Center at
around 2 pm.

This morning, at Resaca de La Palma, we had 1  Blackburnian, 2
Chestnut-sided, 2 Magnolia, 3 Yellow and 1 Kentucky Warbler, mostly along
the Tram Road that goes left from the Visitors Center. An Olive-sided
Flycatcher was perched outside the park entrance and 2 Altamira Orioles
were going to a nest along the Tram Road. We had 1 Acadian, 2 Least and 4
Traill's Flycatchers, all of which remained frustratingly silent.

Peter Barnes
Tyler