[texbirds] Re: Black-bellied whistling-duck (leucistic?)-Sunset Valley

  • From: "Lori Markoff" <canyoneagle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 11:32:20 -0700

Hi Texbirds,

On January 19, 2012 I found a leucistic Black-bellied Whistling Duck at the
Sendera ponds (intersection of Bremner & Companeros).  The Sendera ponds are
not far from Sunset Valley ponds as the BBWD flies, about 4 miles south along
Brodie Lane, southwest Austin.  It makes me wonder if it might be the same bird
Robin saw at Sunset Valley.

Just for fun, here is a photo of the bird I saw.  (Unfortunately I lost a
couple thousand photos awhile back so don't have the file any more.  But I was
able to do a screen grab from my freebie primitive Adobe Photoshop which still
shows the thumbnail for the photo.)

http://flickr.com/gp/canyoneagle/Mb9nc8

Lori Markoff
Eugene, OR