[texbirds] Black Terns Utley

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 21:04:55 -0500

.
Utley: This evening I was out walking my very wet road with the cat and
experienced something incredible I have never before in almost 30 years
here...Between ~7:50-8:10 I noted what I first thought were small flocks of
nighthawks flying over in the failing light. I had no bins or camera but
soon realized they were Black Terns, from as far east above the trees to
the far west above the trees that I could see, they passed...They kept
coming and coming. No handle on how many at all but I can easily go four
digits, tho for the sake of Ebird will just ring in 1000. The passage
lasted a good 15+ minutes with varying sizes of groups....from a handful to
several fast moving uncountable swarms.....All were heading due north...I
can only think of Granger Lk. as being the closest roost site in that
immediate direction some 35 miles away.. And indeed there were a number of
silent nighthawks as well. Before this evening the extent of my property
Black Tern sightings amounted to less than maybe 15-20 birds total in broad
daylight, at one time, and that has been a good while back. These low
flying birds were obviously crepuscular and to me a bit early for this
area. Also had 5 White Ibis (flyovers), Mourning Warbler, Redstarts and a
heard only Olive-sided this afternoon/evening...The Chucks have just fired
up.....I am so jazzed up right now!
What a day for many reasons.
Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell