[texbirds] Black Rail sighting San Bernard

  • From: Dennis Shepler <dawgler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 05:36:40 -0600

Howdy Texbirders,
Yesterday, I was fortunate to be able to ride on a marsh buggy to search
for rails, during the San Bernard NWR CBC compiled by Ron Weeks.
Finding Black Rail is always a challenge and seeing one even more so.  We
did flush one Black Rail and had excellent views as it flew a rather long
distance (for a Black Rail).  This bird was a lifer for the five other
observers on the buggy.
Texbirders may have heard that there is a researcher that is doing a study
of the BLRA population on the refuge, and indications are that there are
more BLRA present than previously thought.  Of course, the areas where the
survey is being conducted, and most of the refuge is closed to the public.
 Additionally, one cannot use electronic calls on the Refuge.  Yet, there
is much habitat in the area that could possibly have the rail present.  One
place that one might consider is FM 2918, which extends from FM 2611 to the
Intracoastal Waterway.  The area has extensive habitat for the rail, which
Saltmeadow Cordgrass (*Spartina* *patens*) ...or Saltmarsh Hay.  One might
consider a night trip to the area and listen for both the Black Rail or
Yellow Rail.  For those seeking this bird, it could heard.
Additionally, the readers might consider participating in the Migration
Celebration at the Refuge this spring. It is my understanding that there
are marsh buggy trips available.
So, as Spring moves closer, the rails may be a bit more vocal and a night
trip to that area may yield a really neat and elusive rail.
I would like to thank the refuge personnel and Ron Weeks for the
opportunity to see the rails.  My fellow "buggy bouncers" (it was rough out
there) and I saw Black, Yellow, Virginia, and Sora Rails.  We also had a
bonus Short-eared Owl.
Happy Holidays and good birding to all.
Dennis
West Houston