[texbirds] Re: Black Phoebe update

  • From: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 15:42:44 -0500

Hi all -

We went back to Hazel to watch the hawks (not big numbers, but a nice variety)
and I went down to look for the Black Phoebe again at about 1:15pm.    When I
got out of the car, I was sure I heard it call a few times from across the
river.   It was then silent for about 10 minutes, and when I heard it again, it
popped into view, sitting on branches about 18 inches above the water.   It is
a VERY handsome bird.

After a few seconds it flew to my side of the river and perched on a big piling
next to the intake pipes of the water pumping plant, then flew back across the
river again.   It seems like it calls a lot only when it is active, either in
flight, or getting ready to fly from a perch.

After a few minutes it flew under the overhanging branches at the river's edge,
disappeared from sight, and was silent again.   I am guessing that if the bird
is not immediately visible or audible, just wait it out and it will pop up
again soon enough.  Its call is more emphatic and sharp than an Eastern Phoebe,
and it repeats the call notes more rapidly than does Eastern.

Clay Taylor
TOS Life Member
Calallen (Corpus Christi),  TX
Clay.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx