[texbirds] Birds of Texas, John Kern Strecker, 1912

  • From: "Stevan Hawkins" <shawkins4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 10:00:14 -0500

TexBirders:

John K. Strecker's 1912 The Birds of Texas:  An Annotated Checklist is
available for free download at
http://archive.org/stream/birdsoftexasann00stre#page/n5/mode/2up  Barnes &
Noble will let a person download  69-page paper for free to one of their
Nook book readers.  I have been told that this paper can be downloaded to
the Kindle book reader, too.   Although I have only skipped through this
1912 paper, I can tell you that it  has lots of interesting insights or
comparisons to the birdlife of 21st century Texas:  Both species of swans
were fairly common;  Whooping Cranes were fairly common;  Cave Swallows were
not here;  Great Egrets and Snowy Egrets were rare to very rare.  What
Strecker does not mention is that this was probably due to the commercial
trade in herons' breeding plumes for women's hats.  As informative as
Strecker's paper is, it is tempting to either print the paper or to fork out
$13.88 to buy it

Archive.org has other historic papers, books, for free download at
http://archive.org/details/texts Their Biodiversity Heritage Library looks
especially interesting.

Onward!

Steve