[texbirds] Birds found on Santa Gertrudis Div., King Ranch - 12/02/13

  • From: Tom Langschied <TLangschied@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 19:18:58 +0000

Yesterday, I birded the Santa Gertrudis Div. of King Ranch (in Kleberg County)
for about 5 hours.  Highlights of this outing include Least Grebe, Sedge Wren,
and Cassin's Sparrow among the 69 bird species found.  It's interesting for me
to consider a lone Least Grebe & Sedge Wren as specific highlights. But in the
23 years of access to this property I had not seen so little (or no) water in
the ponds/lakes on the Santa Gertrudis division as during this past summer
season.  Fortunately, we have had some good rains during the past 3 months, so
birds that like moist or water based conditions are once again able to occur
here.  Below is the list of birds noted on 12/02/13.
Take care and good birding,

Tom Langschied
tlangschied@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Birds found on 12/02/13