[texbirds] Birds at Rice University today - 16 species of warblers, 67 species

  • From: C-T Lee <cintylee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 20:41:02 -0500

Hi there, lots of birds migrating last night by radar, and then just
over the inner loop, it rained around 5 am in the morning, so I headed
out to the campus thinking that the storm would have grounded the
birds. Just before sunrise, joined by Mark Kulstad, we had a
spectacular show of migrants coming into the trees and then moving on
(weed lot/compost pile area in soccer field west of entrance 20
parking lot accessed from Rice Blvd).  Rafts of Baltimore (40) and
Orchard orioles, rose-breasted grosbeaks, indigo buntings, 3 painted
buntings, and many dickcissels flying overhead. There were many
warblers flying over as well during these early hours, but we couldn't
ID most of them.  After the sun rose, we worked our way towards the
front entrance of campus and various clusters of trees around the
campus. 16 species of warblers were seen today and enjoyed by those
present including John O'Brien, Ben Van Allen and others.  We had
Golden-winged and Worm-eating Warblers and even Northern Waterthrush
(rare at Rice due to lack of habitat, but was in a puddle beneath the
track and field bleachers), Least, Yellow-bellied and Acadian
Flycatchers.  Swallows were clearly migrating in force, with several
Bank Swallows going over.  A total of 67 species of birds were seen
today at Rice. Seemed like every tree had warblers in it. Curiously,
no tanagers today.  Up until today, birding at Rice this season was
very slow.

We'll be out there tomorrow again before sunrise to see the birds come
in (630 AM). Weedlot/compost pile in soccer field west of entrance 20
visitor lot along Rice Blvd.

best

C-T Lee, Houston

Black-bellied Whistling Duck 1

Great Blue Heron  1
Cattle Egret  12

Yellow-crowned Night Heron 5
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Broad-winged Hawk  1     dark morph!
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Killdeer  1
Laughing Gull  1
Rock Pigeon  50
White-winged Dove  40
Mourning Dove  15
Chimney Swift  35
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Downy Woodpecker  3
Eastern Wood-Pewee  4
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher  1
Acadian Flycatcher  2
Least Flycatcher  5
Eastern Kingbird  1

Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Loggerhead Shrike  1
White-eyed Vireo  1

Warbling Vireo 1
Blue Jay  15
American Crow  2
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  7
Purple Martin  2
Bank Swallow  3
Barn Swallow  10
Tufted Titmouse  2
Swainson's Thrush  1
Wood Thrush  1
American Robin  12
Gray Catbird  7
Northern Mockingbird  15
European Starling  30
Cedar Waxwing  45
Ovenbird  2
Worm-eating Warbler  1
Northern Waterthrush  1     behind shed, next to mulberry tree at the
retention basin
Golden-winged Warbler  1     in small grove of oaks on the SW corner
of the engineering quadrangle
Black-and-white Warbler  8
Tennessee Warbler  15
Common Yellowthroat  4
Hooded Warbler  4
American Redstart  2
Magnolia Warbler  10
Bay-breasted Warbler  2
Blackburnian Warbler  3
Chestnut-sided Warbler  1
Black-throated Green Warbler  10

Yellow-throated Warbler 1
Yellow-breasted Chat  1
Lincoln's Sparrow  1
Northern Cardinal  2
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  8
Indigo Bunting  25
Painted Bunting  3     weed lot
Dickcissel  30
Common Grackle  2
Great-tailed Grackle  30
Orchard Oriole  20     before dawn, streaming by in small groups at the weed lot
Baltimore Oriole  40     before dawn, streaming by in small groups at
the weed lot
House Finch  10
American Goldfinch  2
House Sparrow  30