[texbirds] Re: Birding at Alcoa Lake in Milam County

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dellel1119@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 16:50:14 -0500

  The lake was once a premier place for both fishing and bird watching.
There was even a nice park on the northside...Then came the pollutants and
heavy metals that forced the restriction on fishing, swimming, boating etc.
The park closed.   Things were touch and go for a while but birders
etc.still went thru mostly unimpeded.  Then in the 80-90's they wanted to
condemn miles and miles of nearby old heritage farms, bottom lands etc. to
get to shallow lignite...I was there, went to the meetings etc.., held in
Bastrop, Elgin, Giddings and more.....  There was some mitigation but with
a whole, whole lot of protests, lawsuits, speakers, angry descendants of
from farms etc..They rerouted  696 around the site and closed numerous
county roads we used to bird.  It was what it was gonna be in the long run
though.  Given all the public outcry, they got very sensative about
everything.  I/we were flat run out of the area of the lake after a while,
more than once, in no uncertain terms and in a very serious way.  So I have
never been back...
Since it is a very warm water lake, or was, it sported all kinds of birds
hard to get this this area of Texas...Hundreds of White Pelicans spent time
there, best place for Anhingas, alligators were in the backwaters etc.  Ed
Kutac once called it the finest birding lake in Central Texas...I do hope
that it is as some say and is more open now...I just have not tried again
and shifted over to Fayette Lake which while maybe not as good is OK and
has had some real inland prizes like Common. Black Hawk, Royal Terns,
Sabine's Gull etc. (with a 6.00 per person entrance fee though the
Rice-Osborne Nature Trail is free and very long)

I love to see this lake reopened to birders.

Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/