[texbirds] Birder Patrol Trip Next Saturday

  • From: "Mary Beth Stowe" <mbstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 06:01:40 -0600

Hi, all!

This month's Birder Patrol trip is scheduled for next Saturday, November
28th, where we'll be doing the "Sparrow Road Route". This route begins in
La Joya at the base of FM 2221 and continues north on Jara Chinas Road to FM
490, where (true to its name) we'll be looking for sparrows (several
species, including Cassin's, Black-throated, and Lark Bunting, are
possible), raptors (last winter Ferruginous Hawk, Prairie Falcon, and Golden
Eagle all showed up-no guarantees, of course), and other wintering species.
This past week a visiting birder found Mountain Plovers near the
intersection with 14 Mile Road, so we'll be sure to look for those!

The meeting place is the Whataburger in La Joya; if you'd like to get a bite
to eat beforehand, please arrive there early enough to eat and be ready to
hit the road by 7:00. Cost is $5.00 per person, and all proceeds go towards
the educational endeavors of the Arroyo Colorado Audubon Society. Right now
there's a 60% chance of rain that day (and it's going to be cold by south
Texas standards J); we'll be keeping an eye on the weather, but a 70% chance
or greater cancels the trip.

See you there! MB

Mary Beth Stowe

Alamo, TX