[texbirds] Re: Bird question

  • From: Laurie Foss <lauriefoss@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jim.sinclair@xxxxxxxxx, Chuck Sexton <gcwarbler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 09:04:42 -0500

Jim,
I am an unapologetic eBird user, and take every opportunity to recommend
that others use it as well. The reason? Where is the insight to your data
at the microhabitat level? Can I see it? Can it be included in research
that might benefit from your data? Would scientists even know that you are
recording microhabitat data?
While eBird does not claim to be everything for everyone, it has done at
least as much to collect data for general knowledge and scientific use as
all of the notebooks on all of the shelves in all of the homes of
birders/ornithologists the world over, and maybe more.
Furthermore, by being available to the public, it generates curiosity which
in turn promotes efforts to look further, probe deeper, learn more about
birds and what we can to to promote habitat protection. I've seen it work.
My friend Chuck Sexton has a lifetime of field observations in carefully
curated notebooks on his home bookshelves. I've seen the covers, but never
the contents. The difference here is that he is taking the time to share
his observations by entering them in eBird, where now they matter to the
global understanding of avian status and distribution over time. What a
tedious job, but I admire him all the more for it.
I get that you're not saying eBird is not valuable. I get that your
sightings are important, too. My point is that if the sightings are not
accessible to researchers, they are making no difference at all.
Laurie Foss
Austin, TX

Laurie Foss
Austin, TX