[texbirds] Re: Bird question

  • From: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx" <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 19:03:23 -0400

Ok, from a practical standpoint with respect to eBird, if you know a trip list
in 1970-something was from The Valley (it includes Olive Sparrow, Green Jay, or
whatever), does it really make any difference if you simply pick a county?  On
that example, Hildago and Cameron host 95% of the birding activities for The
Valley - pick one.

At best the list only shows the presence of the species.   With very few other
lists in the database from that time frame, no meaningful conclusions can be
drawn as to trends other than the species was present / not present at that
time of year.

Whether it is ultimately valuable enough to justify your spending the time to
enter it into eBird is a personal call.   I have always been a
non-record-keeping birder, so I would only have to worry about where and when a
particular bird photo was taken.

Clay Taylor
Calallen (Corpus Christi) TX
Clay.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx