[texbirds] Re: Bird Specimen pick-up day is here again.

  • From: Jack Eitniear <jackeitniear@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 12:40:12 -0700 (PDT)

Texbirders-I do not want to "rain on Brush's parade" but note the message from
Ellen Paul at the Ornithological Council below.
THERE IS NO CITIZEN SALVAGE PROVISION IN THE REGULATIONS. IT IS THEREFORE
ILLEGAL FOR PEOPLE WHO DO NOT HAVE PERMITS TO PICK UP DEAD BIRDS, FEATHERS,
ETC. NO MATTER WHAT THEY LATER DO WITH THEM.

There is pending a regulation for a new kind of MBTA permit called
"conservation education"

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2010/09/21/2010-23342/migratory-bird-permits-possession-and-educational-use

 and it has been stalled for at least 12 months if not more. That regulation
happens to include a provision for citizen salvage:

"Entities that remain exempt from the permit requirement to hold dead specimens
would be allowed to accept such specimens from members of the public who,
without a permit, pick them up. Those persons would be exempt from the permit
requirement for such one-time salvage provided they promptly donate the
specimens to a person or institution authorized to possess the specimens by
permit or permit exception."

 For years, the Ornithological Council has been urging the USFWS to create this
policy. Unfortunately, the reg is stalled for reasons unrelated to this
particular provision.

So in the meantime, it is illegal.

That being said, it is probably not an enforcement priority.
Ellen PaulExecutive DirectorThe Ornithological Council"Providing Scientific
Information about Birds"
http://www.nmnh.si.edu/BIRDNET";

From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Bird Specimen pick-up day is here again.(Austin area)
Addendum
To: Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 12:41 PM

Please RSVP/ACK if you have birds to bring, otherwise I am apt not to show up
there unless I know there are folks with the "goods"....B

--
Brush Freeman
Independent and affiliated Field Biologist

361-655-7641
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/
 Finca Alacranes., Utley,Texas
The greatest musician of all time is mother nature.