[texbirds] Big thanks for the Swallow-tailed Kite

  • From: Ruth Friedrichs <twofried@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 10:13:33 -0700 (PDT)

I want to send a big thanks to Rick Folkening for his Texbirds post on Monday.
I have been chasing the mythical (for me) Swallow-tailed Kite for many years.
After reading Rick's Texbirds post and researching the location on eBird, my
wife and I drove over to indicated Crosby neighborhood on Monday.  They REALLY
do exist!

We got great views and photos of 5 adult Swallow-tailed Kites gracefully
feeding
and gliding over the drainage canal and tree-tops off of Aweigh Dr.  What a
blast!  There was even a Mississippi Kite in the mix at one point.  After
savoring the Swallow-tailed Kite experience, we celebrated scoring this long
sought-after 'lifer' with dinner and adult beverage at the Louisiana Crawfish
Hut in Crosby.

This is another wonderful example of how Texbirds works and how technology
really helps to locate birds and share experiences.  Thanks to all who
contribute with TexBirds and eBird posts.
Bob Friedrichs
Houston, Texas