[texbirds] Big Webberville Park Saturday, 12-08-12

  • From: Dan Smith <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 11:29:06 -0600

I spent a couple of hours birding Big Webberville Park east of Austin this
morning. I noted 32 species as follows. Happily, the Bald Eagles are back and
both birds were observed attending the nest, with one bird making several trips
to and from. The appearance was of fixing things up in preparation for nesting.

Pied-billed Grebe 3
Double-crested Cormorant 2
Black Vulture 2
Turkey Vulture 2
Osprey 1
Bald Eagle 2
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
White-winged Dove 9
Inca Dove 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 3
Downey Woodpecker 2
Northern Flicker 1
Crested Caracara 2
American Kestrel 1
Merlin 1
Eastern Phoebe 2
American Crow 7
Carolina Chicadee 2
Titmouse (probable hybrid) 2
Carolina Wren 3
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1
Northern Mockingbird 3
Orange-crowned Warbler 1
Pine Warbler 3
Yellow-rumped Warbler (myrtle) 5
Northern Cardinal 4
Meadowlark sp. 9
Common Grackle 8
Great-tailed Grackle 5
Blackbird sp. (several large flyover flocks fairly high and fast) 225 (or so)

The usual crows were badgering the usual Red-tailed Hawk in the trees near the
building across the field. All in all an enjoyable morning, and I was able to
share views of the eagles at the nest through the scope with a couple of
exercise walkers.

The best view of the eagles' nest is no longer from the western edge of the
park because the tall stuff has really grown up there, and view is blocked as
you get close. A good view can be had from the picnic table nearest the yellow
playscape with the tunnel slide and the happy face alarm clock. From there,
look just under the basketball goal to the west, and the nest will be almost
framed by the goal and its blue post.

Dan Smith
dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
512-451-2632