[texbirds] Re: Big Bend Birding 2013

  • From: Sean Paul Kelley <spkelley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 11:26:50 -0600

As a side note: if you ever decide to go birding in Guatemala in the winter
you absolutely must go to the Mayan Ruins site at Quirigia. Let me explain:
the site of Quirigia is about a 450 acre size patch of pure jungle in the
midst of miles and miles of banana plantations. It's the only lowland
Caribbean jungle in the area. And this place was full of migrants. We saw
Yellow, Blue-winged, Prothonotary, American Redstarts, Painted Buntings,
and a dozen other migrants within ten minutes of walking into the site.
Some of the bird photos can be found in this Flickr set.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanpaulkelley/sets/72157638561559093/
I know this isn't technically Texas birding, but these are all birds *IN
TEXAS* at some point.

Plus, Guatemala was very safe--we rented a car and drove all over the
country.

Don't let American propaganda keep you from living life to the fullest.

Regards and Happy New Year,

Sean Paul Kelley
San Antonio