[texbirds] Re: Bexar Co. Swainson's Warblers

  • From: peter barnes <pbarnes123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: doefamily@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 12:59:34 -0500

Bob:
I have heard abbreviated elements of the song by Swainson's Warblers at
Richland Creek WMA, Freestone and Navarro counties, where they are regular
breeders. The ones I heard were in late August. The birds would make single
or several short slurred whistles like the first part of the song, then
eventually make longer more coordinated efforts, and finally break out into
their usual breeding song after a few minutes. Sounded like they were
warming up their vocal chords. Not sure if these were juveniles or adults
getting ready to leave after breeding.

Peter Barnes
Tyler