[texbirds] Bentsen State Park Afternoon Walk 04/25

  • From: "Melissa Chadwick" <Melissa.Chadwick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 17:51:09 -0500

Good afternoon again,

Not a great day for our scheduled dragonfly and butterfly walks but we did get
to find some great birds this afternoon.  Please see below for a  complete
list.  All the warblers, grosbeaks, and flycatchers were seen between Green Jay
blind and the La Coma rest area entrance.   Lots of Painted Buntings were seen
around the garden area near the flag pole at headquarters.

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck

2

Plain Chachalaca

8

Gray Hawk

1

Zone-tailed Hawk

1

White-winged Dove

8

Mourning Dove

2

Inca Dove

2

White-tipped Dove

5

Eastern Screech-Owl

1

Chimney Swift

1

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

6

Ruby-throated/Black-chinned Hummingbird

2

Buff-bellied Hummingbird

1

Golden-fronted Woodpecker

10

Ladder-backed Woodpecker

2

Crested Caracara

1

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

2

Willow/Alder Flycatcher

1

Least Flycatcher

1

Brown-crested Flycatcher

4

Great Kiskadee

2

Couch's Kingbird

5

Green Jay

5

Purple Martin

2

Cave Swallow

3

Black-crested Titmouse

2

Clay-colored Thrush

1

Northern Mockingbird

8

Long-billed Thrasher

2

Black-and-white Warbler

1

Tennessee Warbler

1

Yellow Warbler

1

Black-throated Green Warbler

3

Olive Sparrow

1

Lark Sparrow

1

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

2

Indigo Bunting

3

Painted Bunting

6

Red-winged Blackbird

10

Great-tailed Grackle

12

Bronzed Cowbird

6

Hooded Oriole

1

Altamira Oriole

2

Happy birding!

Thank you,

Melissa Chadwick

Park Naturalist/Volunteer Coordinator

World Birding Center

Bentsen Rio Grande Valley State Park

2800 South Bentsen Palm Drive

Mission, TX 78572

melissa.chadwick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:melissa.chadwick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Telephone (956) 584-9156 Ext 228

Fax (956) 584-9126

Sundays
Bird Walk 8:30a - 10:30a
Wednesdays

Bird Walk 8:30a - 10:30a

Nature Tour 2-4p *pre-registration required

Thursdays

Dragonfly Walk 1-3p

Butterfly Walk 3-4p

Saturdays
Creatures of the Night 7-9p *pre-registration required

"Use the talents you posses; for the woods would be very silent if no birds
sang except the best."

Henry Van Dyke

Learn how you can help Texas State Parks <http://bit.ly/sVdilb>