[texbirds] Bentsen & Starr Co.

  • From: "Mary Beth Stowe" <mbstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 16:53:47 -0500

Hi, all!

I wanted to try and bag some summering/resident species that I still needed
for the year, so hit Bentsen pre-dawn to try to at least hear Elf Owls.
Dipped on those, but the Screech Owls were giving come great concerts
(including their confusing barks) near the Old Gatehouse, and I happened to
see a family of them along Kiskadee Trail! A Pauraque bounced along the
entrance road showing his orange eyes in my flashlight, and a little later
one flew against the lightening sky showing a perfect silhouette! Was
surprised to hear no Great Horned Owls, but the usual Bentsen birds started
waking up on the way out, including a Beardless Tyrannulet giving its dawn
song.

Pat Heirs met me near the gatehouse (she had been shooting for Barn Owls
along Old Military Highway without success), and we logged Cave Swallows at
the bridge on the way out. From there we carpooled to Salineno and spent an
hour watching the river, where a few Orchard Orioles were already coming
through, giving their funny "nyeh" calls! Both kingfishers showed up and
the two tern extremes flew by at different points (the Least was new for my
Salineno list) when finally an all-dark pigeon went batting by without a
speck of white on 'im - bingo for the Red-billed Pigeon! A Clay-colored
Thrush sang while that was going on, and a Gray Hawk whistled shortly after.
A Summer Tanager (also new for my Salineno list) that wasn't quite all red
showed up, and a couple of Tropical Kingbirds fed on the abundant
dragonflies. But just as we were getting ready to leave I heard the sad
whistle of an Audubon's Oriole, and it didn't take us long to spot him
across the river! Bag!

Having gotten two out of the three target birds for the day, we just crawled
along the Dump Road and the two Falcon Parks to see what we could see
(nearly creamed a Painted Bunting going through Falcon Heights). Highlights
included Black-throated Sparrow, a Vermilion Flycatcher pair, Cactus Wren
(and a great look at a Bewick's to boot), and a mama Killdeer drawing us
away from her nest at the Rec Center! The wind was howling by that time so
we didn't log many bugs at the butterfly garden, but this one sage bush was
just loaded with Large Orange Sulphurs and a couple of Black Swallowtails
that came battling through!

A recording of the Screech Owls and some various pics are posted here:

http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/2015%20Field%20Trips/June/Bentsen%20
SP%20
<http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/2015%20Field%20Trips/June/Bentsen%2
0SP%20&%20Starr%20Co.html> &%20Starr%20Co.html

.or here:

http://tinyurl.com/pzbwhtq

Bird List:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck Dendrocygna autumnalis

Plain Chachalaca Ortalis vetula

Northern Bobwhite Colinus virginianus

Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias

Great Egret Ardea alba

Snowy Egret Egretta thula

Green Heron Butorides virescens

Black Vulture Coragyps atratus

Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura

Harris's Hawk Parabuteo unicinctus

Gray Hawk Buteo plagiatus

Killdeer Charadrius vociferus

Least Tern Sternula antillarum

Caspian Tern Hydroprogne caspia

Rock Pigeon Columba livia

Red-billed Pigeon Patagioenas flavirostris

Eurasian Collared-Dove Streptopelia decaocto

White-winged Dove Zenaida asiatica

Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura

Inca Dove Columbina inca

Common Ground-Dove Columbina passerina

White-tipped Dove Leptotila verreauxi

Yellow-billed Cuckoo Coccyzus americanus

Greater Roadrunner Geococcyx californianus

Groove-billed Ani Crotophaga sulcirostris

Eastern Screech-Owl Megascops asio

Common Pauraque Nyctidromus albicollis

Chimney Swift Chaetura pelagica

Ringed Kingfisher Megaceryle torquata

Green Kingfisher Chloroceryle americana

Golden-fronted Woodpecker Melanerpes aurifrons

Ladder-backed Woodpecker Picoides scalaris

Crested Caracara Caracara cheriway

Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet Camptostoma imberbe

Vermilion Flycatcher Pyrocephalus rubinus

Brown-crested Flycatcher Myiarchus tyrannulus

Great Kiskadee Pitangus sulphuratus

Tropical Kingbird Tyrannus melancholicus

Couch's Kingbird Tyrannus couchii

Western Kingbird Tyrannus verticalis

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher Tyrannus forficatus

White-eyed Vireo Vireo griseus

Green Jay Cyanocorax yncas

Cave Swallow Petrochelidon fulva

Black-crested Titmouse Baeolophus atricristatus

Verdin Auriparus flaviceps

Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii

Cactus Wren Campylorhynchus brunneicapillus

Clay-colored Thrush Turdus grayi

Curve-billed Thrasher Toxostoma curvirostre

Long-billed Thrasher Toxostoma longirostre

Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos

European Starling Sturnus vulgaris

Olive Sparrow Arremonops rufivirgatus

Cassin's Sparrow Peucaea cassinii

Lark Sparrow Chondestes grammacus

Black-throated Sparrow Amphispiza bilineata

Summer Tanager Piranga rubra

Northern Cardinal Cardinalis cardinalis

Pyrrhuloxia Cardinalis sinuatus

Blue Grosbeak Passerina caerulea

Painted Bunting Passerina ciris

Eastern Meadowlark Sturnella magna

Great-tailed Grackle Quiscalus mexicanus

Bronzed Cowbird Molothrus aeneus

Brown-headed Cowbird Molothrus ater

Orchard Oriole Icterus spurius

Bullock's Oriole Icterus bullockii