[texbirds] Bentsen SP & NABA Garden

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 17:30:13 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all!

Pat Heirs and Marie Stewart wanted to see if perchance the Short-tailed
Hawk from last week might still be around at Bentsen, so I joined them down
there along with Joyce Davidson (I was hoping for a lingering Swallow-tailed
Kite...).  First we wandered onto the levee, where we had numerous
Dickcissels making their rude noises, and eagle-eye Marie spotted a male
Painted
Bunting across the way along with a Black Phoebe!  A low-flying helicopter
and several "mounties" galloping by prompted inquiry while I was also trying
to  secure a stray dog that had followed us in, and I was told they were
trying to  flush out illegals before starting a prescribed burn!  A bit of
drama  ensued as we waited at the little nature center for the tram, and sure
enough, a  panic-stricken illegal came running through, asked us something
unintelligible,  then went crashing through the brush, followed about five
minutes later by a  border patrol guy on foot!  The helicopter and horses soon
followed, and as  we rode the tram to the hawk tower we saw where they had
rounded up about 30  illegals!  (The tram driver had to stop in order to get
an over-eager  tourist, who wanted a picture, to sit down...)

It was actually pretty quiet; we made a fruitless search for the Varied
Bunting, then headed up to the tower, but not before spotting an adult and
immature Gray Hawk!  They flew off to a distant tree and started calling,  and
before long what we thought was just another Turkey Vulture morphed into a
Zone-tailed Hawk!  It was very nice and crossed paths with a real Turkey
Vulture for good comparative shots!  Groove-billed Anis were calling there,
and we mercilessly gave Pat a hard time about her "stump hawk", which she
refused to believe WAS a stump until she saw Marie's close-up photo... ;-)
On the way down we scared up several Black Witches; I had heard the "death
in  the house" superstition, but not the one Pat told us about it being a
precursor  to a hurricane; that actually makes more sense seeing as it's a
summertime  bug...  We also saw said prescribed burn and made our getaway
before
it got  any closer...

From there we headed over to NABA hoping to see some of the rare
butterflies that had been showing up, and we weren't disappointed; most of the
mega-rarities were gone, but a few Dingy Purplewings were still hanging around,

which was a life bug for me, and the host lady (whose name I didn't get :-()
 pointed us towards that and a whole host of other good bugs, including
both Gray  and Guatemalan Crackers, a Malachite, and several Florida Whites!
Several  Valley specialties were around, such as the Mexican Bluewings and
Crimson Patch,  along with tons of Tropical Leafwings and Tawny Emperors.

We didn't scour every bush seeing as it was getting pretty warm, so I left
the girls enjoying a Giant Toad at the bird feeding area and headed home
with  just 39 species for the morning.  Photos can be seen here:

http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/2013%20Field%20Trips/August/Bentsen%
20SP.html

Bird List:

  Black-bellied  Whistling-Duck          Dendrocygna  autumnalis
Plain  Chachalaca                       Ortalis vetula
Northern  Bobwhite                      Colinus virginianus
Turkey  Vulture                         Cathartes aura
Gray  Hawk                              Buteo plagiatus
Zone-tailed  Hawk                       Buteo albonotatus
Upland  Sandpiper                       Bartramia longicauda
White-winged  Dove                      Zenaida asiatica
Mourning  Dove                          Zenaida macroura
Inca  Dove                              Columbina inca
White-tipped  Dove                      Leptotila verreauxi
Yellow-billed  Cuckoo                   Coccyzus americanus
Groove-billed  Ani                      Crotophaga sulcirostris
Buff-bellied  Hummingbird               Amazilia yucatanensis
Golden-fronted  Woodpecker              Melanerpes aurifrons
Ladder-backed  Woodpecker               Picoides scalaris
Black  Phoebe                           Sayornis nigricans
Brown-crested  Flycatcher               Myiarchus tyrannulus
Great  Kiskadee                         Pitangus sulphuratus
Couch's  Kingbird                       Tyrannus couchii
White-eyed  Vireo                       Vireo griseus
Green  Jay                              Cyanocorax yncas
Cave  Swallow                           Petrochelidon fulva
Black-crested  Titmouse                 Baeolophus atricristatus
Verdin                                 Auriparus flaviceps
Blue-gray  Gnatcatcher                  Polioptila caerulea
Northern  Mockingbird                   Mimus polyglottos
Long-billed  Thrasher                   Toxostoma longirostre
Curve-billed  Thrasher                  Toxostoma curvirostre
Yellow  Warbler                         Setophaga petechia
Olive  Sparrow                          Arremonops rufivirgatus
Northern  Cardinal                      Cardinalis cardinalis
Painted  Bunting                        Passerina ciris
Dickcissel                             Spiza americana
Red-winged  Blackbird                   Agelaius phoeniceus
Great-tailed  Grackle                   Quiscalus mexicanus
Orchard  Oriole                         Icterus spurius
Altamira  Oriole                        Icterus gularis
House  Sparrow                          Passer domesticus
39 SPECIES

Mary Beth  Stowe
McAllen, TX
_www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com/)