[texbirds] Bentsen RGV State Park - Highlights

  • From: "Melissa Chadwick" <Melissa.Chadwick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 12:11:26 -0500

TexBirders,

Lots of activity this week despite the heat and total lack of rain.  The
Altamira Orioles have completed their nest hanging on a wire just above
the Kiskadee Trail located right before the Kiskadee Blind.  Also heard
regularly around the Kiskadee Blind is the Northern
Beardless-Tyrannulet.  A family of Greater Roadrunners can be seen
regularly just outside the Nature Center (always fun to watch).  Birds
like the Green Jays, Chachalacas, Altamira Orioles, White-tipped Doves,
and Golden-fronted Woodpeckers can be seen easily all over the park
before 11am and after 6pm.  We are also crawling with Groove-billed Anis
and Yellow-billed Cuckoos especially around the Acacia Loop.

We are still getting reports of Orchard Orioles visiting the Kiskadee
Blind and that tends to remain a hotspot for birds coming to the water
feature.  Several Eastern Screech Owls can be heard later in the evening
around the Ebony grove area and just before sunset we have some very
vocal Common Pauraque that can be found on Green Jay Trail near the
Kingfisher Overlook.

Make sure to join us for our guided Bird Walks every Sunday morning from
8:30am -10:30am. Hope to see you soon!

Below is a list of birds seen on 07/12:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck

2

Plain Chachalaca

7

Northern Bobwhite

1

Great Egret

1

Green Heron

2

Black Vulture

3

Turkey Vulture

4

Osprey

1

Swainson's Hawk

1

White-winged Dove

3

Mourning Dove

2

Inca Dove

1

Common Ground-Dove

1

White-tipped Dove

4

Yellow-billed Cuckoo

3

Greater Roadrunner

4

Groove-billed Ani

7

Lesser Nighthawk

1

Buff-bellied Hummingbird

1

Golden-fronted Woodpecker

3

Ladder-backed Woodpecker

1

Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet

1

Black Phoebe

1

Brown-crested Flycatcher

1

Great Kiskadee

2

Couch's Kingbird

3

Western Kingbird

2

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher

1

Green Jay

5

Cave Swallow

12

Black-crested Titmouse

3

Northern Mockingbird

6

Long-billed Thrasher

2

Curve-billed Thrasher

1

Common Yellowthroat

1

Olive Sparrow

2

Northern Cardinal

4

Red-winged Blackbird

9

Great-tailed Grackle

5

Bronzed Cowbird

4

Altamira Oriole

4

House Sparrow

2

Happy Birding!

Thank you,
Melissa Chadwick
Park Naturalist/Volunteer Coordinator
World Birding Center
Bentsen Rio Grande Valley State Park
2800 South Bentsen Palm Drive
Mission, TX 78572
melissa.chadwick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:melissa.chadwick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Telephone (956) 584-9156 Ext 228
Fax (956) 584-9126

"Use the talents you posses; for the woods would be very silent if no
birds sang except the best."
Henry Van Dyke