[texbirds] Bentsen Bird Walk 3/15/15

  • From: Hannah Buschert <Hannah.Buschert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'TexBirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)'" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 16:28:57 +0000

Hello Texbirders!
We had a calm, cool bird walk this morning with a good variety of species and
excited birders!  We started off at the headquarters' gardens with a
Buff-bellied Hummingbird, Great Kiskadee, Altamira Oriole, and the Texas State
Bird: Northern Mockingbird.  On our stroll to the Nature Center, we saw several
Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks and a noisy Golden-fronted Woodpecker.  When we
arrived at the Nature Center, it was pretty quiet since a Sharp-shinned Hawk
was patrolling the area.  At the Resaca, we had a Crested Caracara fly through.
 We finished up the walk with a peek into the Kiskadee Blind and saw our only
White-tipped Doves for the morning and more Plain Chachalacas.

Make sure to join us for Hawk Watch!  March 1st-April 30th, daily, from
8:30am-12:00pm at the Hawk Tower.

Species                                                 Count
Black-bellied Whistling-Duck       6
Plain Chachalaca                               14
Pied-billed Grebe                            3
Double-crested Cormorant         1
Sharp-shinned Hawk                      1
Inca Dove                                            1
Common Ground-Dove                6
White-tipped Dove                         3
White-winged Dove                       1
Mourning Dove                                2
Black-chinned Hummingbird       1
Buff-bellied Hummingbird           1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker    5
Ladder-backed Woodpecker      1
Crested Caracara                              1
Great Kiskadee                                 6
Couch's Kingbird                               1
Green Jay                                            10
Cave Swallow                                    13
Black-crested Titmouse                 7
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher                   1
Clay-colored Thrush                        2
Northern Mockingbird                   3
Orange-crowned Warbler            3
Lincoln's Sparrow                             2
Northern Cardinal                            5
Red-winged Blackbird                    17
Great-tailed Grackle                       11
Altamira Oriole                                  3
House Sparrow                                 13

Happy Birding!

Hannah Buschert
World Birding Center
Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley State Park
Park Ranger 1-Interpreter
(956) 584-9156 x235
Hannah.Buschert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Hannah.Buschert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

"People must feel that the natural world is important and valuable and
beautiful and wonderful and an amazement and a
pleasure.<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/d/davidatten214804.html>"
Sir David
Attenborough<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/d/davidatten214804.html>