[texbirds] Bentsen Bird Walk 2/8/15

  • From: Hannah Buschert <Hannah.Buschert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'TexBirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)'" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2015 18:54:09 +0000

Good afternoon,
We had a slow beginning to the bird walk as a Sharp-shinned Hawk was keeping a
close eye on all the birds at the Nature Center.  While checking out the
Sharp-shinned Hawk, our Nature Center volunteer yelled "Hook-billed Kite" and
we looked up in time to see it fly towards the canal!  A few more hawks made an
appearance at the Nature Center, a Red-shouldered Hawk and a Gray Hawk.  At the
Resaca, we were able to watch an Osprey for a long time and then a Caspian Tern
came and dove for fish.  Not too much at the Kiskadee Blind this morning, but
the Green Jay Blind was pretty active with Green Jays, White-tipped Doves, and
Northern Cardinals.  On our way back we were able to watch a Greater Roadrunner
peeking in the bushes for a good while.

Join us next week for our Bird Walks on Sundays, Wednesdays, and Fridays
(Beginner's).

Species                                                 Count
Plain Chachalaca                               15
Pied-billed Grebe                            1
Neotropic Cormorant                     1
Double-crested Cormorant         1
Great Egret                                         1
Turkey Vulture                                  2
Osprey                                                 1
Hook-billed Kite                                1
Sharp-shinned Hawk                      1
Red-shouldered Hawk                   1
Gray Hawk                                          1
Caspian Tern                                      1
Inca Dove                                            1
White-tipped Dove                         5
Mourning Dove                                2
Greater Roadrunner                       1
Eastern Screech-Owl                      1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker    2
Ladder-backed Woodpecker      1
Black Phoebe                                     1
Great Kiskadee                                 10
White-eyed Vireo                            1
Green Jay                                            10
Black-crested Titmouse                 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher                   5
Ruby-crowned Kinglet                   1
Long-billed Thrasher                       1
Northern Mockingbird                   3
Orange-crowned Warbler            3
Common Yellowthroat                  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler               4
Olive Sparrow                                    1
Lincoln's Sparrow                             2
Northern Cardinal                            5
Red-winged Blackbird                    30
Great-tailed Grackle                       20
Altamira Oriole                                  3
House Sparrow                                 15

Hannah Buschert
World Birding Center
Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley State Park
Park Ranger 1-Interpreter
(956) 584-9156 x235
Hannah.Buschert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Hannah.Buschert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

"People must feel that the natural world is important and valuable and
beautiful and wonderful and an amazement and a
pleasure.<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/d/davidatten214804.html>"
Sir David
Attenborough<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/d/davidatten214804.html>