[texbirds] Bentsen Bird Walk 12/25 full list

  • From: "Javier Deleon" <Javier.Deleon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 09:09:19 -0600

Hello all,

My apologies for the eBird checklist e-mail stuff. We are exploring(fiddling)
with eBird and their awesome tools and occasionally we do something weird...
For the half dozen of you Texas birders not on eBird, you should really visit
the site and look around! (www.ebird.org)

Melissa Chadwick, one of our intrepid naturalists, took several folks out on
Christmas Day for the weekly bird walk. Highlight was a Mallard in the resaca
by the boat ramp. This has been a good year for ducks in the valley!

Bentsen-Rio Grande Val. SP WBC (Mission) (LTC 069), Hidalgo, US-TX
Dec 25, 2012 8:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.5 mile(s)
Comments:     Includes other sightings from throughout the day.
43 species (+3 other taxa)

Mallard 1     Adult Male located in the Resaca Parida Banco
Plain Chachalaca  30
Pied-billed Grebe  1
Double-crested Cormorant  15
Anhinga  3
American White Pelican  25
Great Blue Heron  1
Great Egret  4
Snowy Egret  6
Turkey Vulture  1
Osprey  1
Cooper's Hawk  1
Accipiter sp.  1
Gray Hawk  1
American Coot  3
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Least Sandpiper  7
Forster's Tern  1
White-winged Dove  2
Mourning Dove  3
Inca Dove  20
White-tipped Dove  3
Ruby-throated/Black-chinned Hummingbird  1
Ringed Kingfisher  1
Belted Kingfisher  2
Golden-fronted Woodpecker  6
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2
Ladder-backed Woodpecker  4
Black Phoebe  1
Eastern Phoebe  2
Vermilion Flycatcher  1
Great Kiskadee  9
Green Jay  15
Black-crested Titmouse  6
House Wren  1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  1
Northern Mockingbird  3
Long-billed Thrasher  1
Orange-crowned Warbler  2
Yellow-rumped Warbler  12
Olive Sparrow  1
Northern Cardinal  4
Red-winged Blackbird  10
Great-tailed Grackle  2
Altamira Oriole  4
House Sparrow  6

View this checklist online at
<http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S12370401>

Javier de León

Assistant Park Superintendent

Bentsen - Rio Grande Valley State Park

World Birding Center

2800 South Bentsen Palm Drive

Mission, TX 78572

956-584-9156

Learn how you can help Texas State Parks: <http://bit.ly/sVdilb
<http://bit.ly/sVdilb> >

Bentsen Birding Programs:

Bird Walk - Tuesdays and Sundays 8:30am - 10:3am

Bentsen Nature Tour (for beginners) - Wednesdays 2:00pm - 4:00pm