[texbirds] Before the remnants on Patricia

  • From: "Bird.fried" <bird.fried@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 23:27:57 -0500

My brother and I drove the Matagorda beach, in spitting rain, from the jetty to
the windmill at 5-mile. Along this stretch, we found 39 Oystercatchers
including birds banded 'I8' and 'UW'. We normally only see a pair at the jetty
so all of these birds are probably from East Matagorda Bay. There were also
dozens of Snowy and Semi-palmated Plovers with a handful if Piping Plovers.

Surprising were a total of 21 Red Knots resting and foraging along the beach.
This is the most I've seen in one outing in Matagorda County. The largest
group was 14 birds.

Out in the gulf, paralleling the beach, was a single shrimp boat within scope
distance. Behind this boat were the normal contingent of gulls, terns,
pelicans and Frigatebirds. The surprise was a Cory's Shearwater that made
several passes behind and in front of the boat allowing both of us good scope
views. While we had hoped to see a sulid on this stormy day, the shearwater
was a real treat.

Despite the conditions, the birding was pretty amazing? Stay dry and good
birding.

Bob and Dale Friedrichs
Palacios and Matagorda
Sent from my iPadEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at